Stagger 4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stagger 4x4

Jeep Club of WV

Stagger HomePortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Channel 23 on the C.B.

There is a new main page and forum in the works. Should be up and running very soon!

Front Drive Shaft

Go down 
+4
WVYJ
darren9975
old school
crispy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
crispy
crispy

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:49 pm

I took the Jeep to Waterfront Jeep in morgantown on Friday. I had two issues..
1) My front locker wouldnt engage no matter how many times I tried
2) There is the most irritating squeak that is proportional to speed coming from underneath.

So, after a daylong diagnosis, I was told the following:
The locker had a damaged hose, which was repaired ($80). I think it was worth it for the removal of all the packed in mud, alone!

The second issue was diagnosed as a bent front drive shaft, and a deteriorating knuckle, which, when combined, produces the noise I hear. The guys there told me it could last indefinitely, or at least until the steering starts to be affected. They quoted me a price of about $400, with labor. Based on your experiences, what do you think? I really dont want this replacement to be my first by myself, but if there are some better ones that would be worth the money, I would appreciate some direction. Thanks,
Chris
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 pm

we can kick it around and ask some friends...............live with it for now?
Breakfast tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
http://stagger4x4.com
crispy
crispy

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:08 pm

I'd like to, but the girlfriend and I are going to go to Beerfest tomorrow at Mylanpark in morgantown...a couple of bands she likes are playing (The Davison brothers, and one other, can't recall the name right now), and I told her I'd take her. Starts at noon...have any other takers for the ride you suggested?
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:45 am

Deteriorating knuckle? What does that mean, and is it the steering knuckle or something on the drive shaft, I cant see much of anything being deteriorated on your jeep (Rubicon). What year is it?

I'm sure Vec will know to do and where to get the parts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stagger4x4.com
WVYJ
Board Member
Board Member
WVYJ

Number of posts : 272

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 12:03 pm

I would do some searching on the net to see how hard it would be to do it yourself
Back to top Go down
WVYJ
Board Member
Board Member
WVYJ

Number of posts : 272

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:46 pm

I would think that if the front driveshaft was bent it would vibrate while in 4wd at higher speeds
Back to top Go down
jeepchic
Treasurer
Treasurer
jeepchic

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Does it turn all the time on your newer jeeps?
Back to top Go down
crispy
crispy

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:44 pm

The mechanic at Waterfront said it was coming from the "Double Cardon Joint" in the front drive shaft because its bent, causing it to wear quickly, and that i could get a new drive shaft, installed for $426, but its backordered for 3 weeks. Its not that bad on the highway, or when the music is cranked, but its funny when i ride sown my street in 3rd, I get all kinds of looks. That aside, I didnt get a definitive answer as to how long I could go without replacing it. I'm a skeptic by nature, and with all of your collective experience, I thought I would share what I was told and see what you all knew. I've been looking, and for the most part, the price seems extremely reasonable.
Back to top Go down
crispy
crispy

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Oh, sorry Darren, its a 2003. Missed that question when I first read your reply.
Back to top Go down
irishjeeper
Board Member
Board Member
irishjeeper

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 pm

If it needs a new frt driveshaft thats like 8 bolts to take out replace with new one or have it fixed then reinstall. You can run your Jeep with out it untill you get it fixed, just no 4wd untill then.
Back to top Go down
McJuice
Board Member
Board Member
McJuice

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 am

its probley ur flux capassitor, if its not that you'll just have to ask doc
Back to top Go down
Vec
Vec

Number of posts : 246

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 am

jeepchic wrote:
Does it turn all the time on your newer jeeps?

yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Drive Shaft   Front Drive Shaft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Drive Shaft
Page 1 of 1