Stagger 4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stagger 4x4

Jeep Club of WV

Stagger HomePortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Channel 23 on the C.B.

There is a new main page and forum in the works. Should be up and running very soon!

Lock right locker 4 hours

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Lock right locker 4 hours Empty
PostSubject: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I started installing my lock-right tonight.
Directions say it will take about 4 hours. So far I have 3 hours in it.

1. Ive managed to jack it up and put it on jack stands
2. Removed both rear wheels
3. Got 1 drum off after striping out, then drilling out the three little screws that hold it on.
4. Got my so called brakes off of that side, (they are bare metal, no pad what so ever).
5. And I fought the 4 bolts out of the back side

I will start the other side tomorrow night, I will keep you posted.
4 hours my a#@!
Back to top Go down
http://www.stagger4x4.com
Vec
Vec

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 10:39 pm

hang in there... you'll get it.. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Madawg
10+
Madawg

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:58 am

Vec wrote:
hang in there... you'll get it.. jocolor
x2
Back to top Go down
http://jeepinwv.com
Vec
Vec

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 pm

well ?
Back to top Go down
WVYJ
Board Member
Board Member
WVYJ

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:18 pm

that's why my ears where burning last night
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 pm

OK I was sick yesterday and most of today, however I did get about an hour and half on the locker. Ive got both drums off, axles unbolted, and the pumpkin cover is off and draining.

Total hours.... 4 1/2
Back to top Go down
irishjeeper
Board Member
Board Member
irishjeeper

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Did you get this done?
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Still not done!

OK, here is the story. When I last had worked on it I had everything unbolted and axles pulled out, all that was left to do is pull the carrier and install the locker and reassemble. So the plan was yesterday after work (5:00pm) I would come straight home and finish it. Well after work I stopped to buy new brakes for the rear, I ran into a friend I hadn't talked to in a while, so after an hour (6:30pm) I got my parts and started home, then figured since I would be working on my jeep I would need some sort of stress reliever .....Captain Morgans..... Ok now to get home! When I got home (6:50pm) we had some company, my cousin and his kids, I hadn't talked to him for a while either, so after some catching up and story telling, he and his kids left (8:00pm). Now to the garage to work on my jeep!

I decide I need some music, I cant find the cord for my computer to run it to the radio, so I have to make one 8:30pm). OK now to work on the jeep! But first Id better have a drink.

OK ready, (8:45)
First I need to remove the carrier
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0110
That was easy, 4 bolts and out.
(9:05) better have a drink

Next remove ring gear. Sounds easy, what it should have said was... Get a BFH and beat the ring gear off.
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0210

(9:40) It had taken some time and drinks to get that off
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0211

Next drive out the drive pin using a punch. Again get the BFH and beat the drive gear out. That thing came out extremely hard.

Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0212

(10:00) Im feeling good everything seems to be going just find.
Now take out the spider gears.
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0213
Now comes the tricky part, tying to figure out what all these parts are... drive gear, thrush washer, collar.... I'm a picture kind of guy, I like to know what I should be looking at or like. Anyway I'm starting to get stuff together, still thinking kind of clear.
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0214
(10:30) Still moving right along, I had to put these little springs in. Those things give me fits.
Better have a drink
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0215
OK that's all done now put the new drive pin in.
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0216
Easy.. Now replace the roll pin that holds the drive pin???????? I now know why it was so hard to get the drive pin out. I had sheared of the old roll pin when I was, like the directions said driving it out with a punch. So I stuck a screw driver in the hole and replaced the ring gear.

(11:00) Cant go no further have to go to Advance in the morning and get a roll pin.
Better have a drink.
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0217

I will post today's adventure a little later, this is just a peek into my life.
peace out!
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Well I just couldnt wait to tell you the rest of the story. Today

I woke up (6:30am)
Got to get to advance and get a roll pin, I roll out of bed with a very big head, stagger out to my wife's jeep and go to town. (7:00) Great it don't open till (7:30), so I take a much needed 1/2hr nap. I get my roll pin, ok I'll be back in business in no time. I get home put the new roll pin and put my carrier back in the housing.
Lock right locker 4 hours 100_0218
Looks good, and feels good. I get my axles back in after a bit of help, reinstall the bolts through the axle tube and tighten them up. A friend of mine put the rear brakes on for me, I hate working on drum brakes. I installed a new pinion seal and nut. Put my tires on and got the directions back out before I closed it all up.

There are a couple of tests you need to preform to see if you locker is working right. I failed both miserably! The second test is the one that really hit me in my junk! There is a tolerance between the two gears .0170 I was at .0220 which is (for you math geniuses) .0050 too much.

Back to the directions. They said to you were over that either you case was worn or the thrush washers were missing. (Right, whats a thrush washer) After further detective work I found the two missing thrush washers on the side gears, which by the way I thought were called spider gears. Apparently the spider gears are the little gears on the side and side gears are the one on your axle. In the directions it said you would not need the spider gear washers, that's all well and good if you know that all the gears in carrier are not all spider gears. I measure the to washers together and the were .0060 which would have put me well within the tolerances.

So to make a long story short, I have to do everything again, but this time there are two plus's
1. Ive have done this before and not long ago, if you know what I mean.

2. The bolts should come out fairly easy. And I forgot to locktight the ring gear so I will do that too.

well, I will keep you posted. Crying or Very sad

there is a ride tomorrow and if I go I will have to ride with some one and be a copilot.
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: It works   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 pm

So, If you happen to have install one of these lockers before, It very well can be done in 4 or 4.5 hrs. I just did it! and it works cheers
I just have to put the cover on and shoot some gear oil in it.
I think I will rewrite the little installation manual and send it to them, the Captain would be proud!
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Locker is in, tested and working! Ready for the weekend cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lock right locker 4 hours   Lock right locker 4 hours Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lock right locker 4 hours
Page 1 of 1