Stagger 4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stagger 4x4

Jeep Club of WV

Stagger HomePortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Channel 23 on the C.B.

There is a new main page and forum in the works. Should be up and running very soon!

The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...

Go down 
+4
WVYJ
old school
darren9975
crispy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
crispy
crispy

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-04-05

The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Empty
PostSubject: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Realized when we got home that we didnt make it off the knob untouched. My rear passenger side shock looked weird, so I crawled under and saw that it was no longer mounted at the top mount site...so I pouted a bit and waited til today to figure out just what happened...after taking it off of the bottom mount, I shined a lite up there and made a shocking , yet happy discovery. I found the source of the constant rattle..the remaining shock was loosely mounted at the top, so I found the source of the rattle..the bad thing I discovered was that the previous owner pulled a half-a$$ed replacement job..the original shock mounting bolts were broken off, leaving the remaining original bolt shafts firmly within the nuts on the other side of the mount. So what they did was tap a hole next to the original holes, and mounted the new shocks with small machine bolts , with no nut on the back...so I went to autozone today and bought a set of the bits that let you screw out a snapped bolt..I hope it works. I'll keep you all updated...Do you think these bolts are too hard for this to work? Any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:56 pm

if you need help let me know
Back to top Go down
http://www.stagger4x4.com
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:40 am

I usually have no luck with those extractors from autozone. A center punch and left handed drill bit are the greatest tools for the removal of a broken bolt. The l/h bits are hard to find though. let us know if you need help.......could check out that actuator for the front locker too. "Yet another good reason to drive the jeep with the top and doors off", or something like that.

This trip: Stagger 4
Knob 1

That's not bad...........20% damage rate dry.
Back to top Go down
http://stagger4x4.com
crispy
crispy

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:43 am

Yep, I'll be at "The Garage" Wednesday evening with a new air chisel to try out...
Back to top Go down
WVYJ
Board Member
Board Member
WVYJ

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 am

what happened to your's Bill
Back to top Go down
Vec
Vec

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 5:38 pm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599612
Back to top Go down
crispy
crispy

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Yeah, that's where i got the idea for the air chisel..one thread on there says it will save me an hour..so for $20, i get an air chisel, and hopefully some sturdier mounted shocks...thanks for the link..
Back to top Go down
irishjeeper
Board Member
Board Member
irishjeeper

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 am

Darren has a small compressor I don't think it would be much good, but if you want you can borrow my air chisle.
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:34 am

My jeep is okay, slight body blimish from the root which was attached to the log..... or tree I used to get stuck and try my winch. I learned.........jeep on tree, jeep move= tree roll= root roll............ha ha root and roll............ha ha. It's all good.
Back to top Go down
Vec
Vec

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

i ripped a flare....
Back to top Go down
irishjeeper
Board Member
Board Member
irishjeeper

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 3:08 am

Root and Roll, lol sounds like Bill has been into the Peach Brandy. drunken Suspect
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 am

good stuff............Vec, was that a drivers side flare? bucklou takes a vehicle right up against the bank, oh boy.
Back to top Go down
crispy
crispy

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:22 am

Darren hooked me up yesterday! A little loc-tite and some wrenching and my bounce-house rear-ended Jeep was back to being a trail ready rig. Next project will either be those bad-lookin rock sliders, or a lift...the power of suggestion is strong.
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm

How about both?
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:53 pm

both
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:01 pm

ya, both
Back to top Go down
crispy
crispy

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:11 pm

I know a little about the whole Star Wars thing, but I'm beginning to think you two are Jeep Jedis pulling mind tricks...let me think about it for a bit...um, ok, I'm in for both!
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 12:52 am

that a boy!
Back to top Go down
Ace

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-07-13

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Drill them out and tap and replace them with 5/16 helix sleeves. You can get a kit at NAPA or Fastenal.
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:44 pm

Ace is the man with the plan. Knob got my tail light housing. Talk about while you aren't looking.
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Yep, it got me............bent front drive shaft. Big time.
Back to top Go down
Kansas

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Wow, it'll sneak up on ya huh? Ok, so what's your plan for a fix? Rusty going to fix you up?..oops, sorry, this is Crispy..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...   The Knob got me when I wasn't looking... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Knob got me when I wasn't looking...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stagger 4x4 :: Wrenching :: Tech Talk-
Jump to: