Stagger 4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stagger 4x4

Jeep Club of WV

Stagger HomePortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Channel 23 on the C.B.

There is a new main page and forum in the works. Should be up and running very soon!

Winches, bumpers, and mounts...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crispy
crispy

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Empty
PostSubject: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm

So I am thinking about getting a winch. Mike pointed me in the direction of the xrc8 at winch depot (Thanks!).
I see optional mounting equipment on 4wd.com and winchdepot.com..I realize you need the kit to make it functional(power cables, whatnot..), but if I find a bumper that is winch friendly, do i need any of these other accessoried, like a mounting plate? If it were anyone else getting a winch and making it functional, would you mind sharing your "dream winch mount" set up? What would you get, what's functional and what's junk? Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

Last edited by crispy on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
old school
Vice President
Vice President
old school

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:19 pm

I really don't know. I guess it depends on just how much you want to spend.
Back to top Go down
http://stagger4x4.com
crispy
crispy

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Well, maybe you all could help me decide on the most advantageous style. Specifically, one that mounts on top of the bumper, or one that mounts behind the bumper and goes through.Well, as far as cost, I'd like to either keep it under 400, but I'm cheap by nature.
Back to top Go down
irishjeeper
Board Member
Board Member
irishjeeper

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Like I said in the PM I sent you, you need to deside what way you want to go with your Jeep build, Mine is more Expedition style set up more for mild trail ridding and long range camp/exploring, It's not done of coarse.
The thing's you should take into consideration are, if you mount your winch on top of bumper the winch is higher and can interfear with air flow to rad and can cause overheating, so a bumper that houses the winch will help some with this.
Also as for bumper selection some people think/like bumpers that are stubby or narrow but this leaves your fenders open for damage, wider bumpers offer more protection but some say more room to get tires closer to opbsticles.
If you wan't to build your own bumpers and sliders etc then I say pick up a 4WD hardware or Quadratec catalog and look for what you like they will give good info on them like what they used for materials most are 3/16" to cut down on weight 1/4" is biggest and better suited for mounting points. you also have to take into acount the weight as a factor more on a coil spring vehicle as the bumpers and winch will really make your frt end sag, the rear has the hard top and bumper/swing away tire carrier and sparetire to do same.
Sorry this is so long a post but I had a lot to say as always, lol.
Back to top Go down
McJuice
Board Member
Board Member
McJuice

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 5:56 pm

if u have ever noticed i have a winch bumper and no winch, thats because im a diehard warn fan. lots of people sayz that its just a name brand, we have had lots of different winches on the farm and only one that has ever held up from the abuse of me and my dad was a warn. other brands might make ok ones with years and years of warrenties but who really wants to keep sending broken winches back, thats y i dont have one cuz im still saveing. along with other dodads
Back to top Go down
darren9975
Membership Director
Membership Director
darren9975

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Justin, did you buy the chief?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stagger4x4.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winches, bumpers, and mounts...   Winches, bumpers, and mounts... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winches, bumpers, and mounts...
Page 1 of 1